Saturday, February 21, 2009

Sharing a Little Cheer

Right now I have over 200 unread posts in my blog reader; I definitely have to do some pruning.  There are some writers who's posts I read as soon as I can; I've blogged about them here.  Lately there are two other bloggers who have percolated to the top of my faves list.  They often bring a smile to my face, which is a nice relief in February (*note: February is probably a Northern Hemisphere affliction).

The Principal's Page.com Blog


This blogger cracks me up.  As the cop on the Simpson's says, what he writes "is funny, because it's true".  His posts can also be poignant (see this post for example: read to the end where the Principal's Page's wife leaves a note).  Up until recently all of The Principal's Page post titles were in caps.  Many of his paragraphs are one sentence long.  He refers to his posts as blogs, which I find endearing.  I don't know who he is, but his "blogs" have cheered up some bleak days.

Not Too Late To Change The Name


This is the other 'must read' blog in my reader right now and is  by Jen.  Jen teaches at a ghetto middle school (her words, not mine) in LA.  This is her second year of teaching, but I think this is her second career.  Her job sounds really challenging and I frankly don't know how she does it.  Her language is colourful at times, but she writes with humour and compassion.  She sometimes writes short bittersweet posts like this one, and then ones like this one that make me realize that my troubles are pretty small in the big scheme of things.  She also writes hopeful posts like this one.  One quirk about Jen's posts are that they never have titles.

Freedom in Anonymity?


Both Principal's Page and Jen write anonomously, which may be why their posts are so enjoyable; they can say what they want to without professional repercussions.  That is not to say that they slag people, because they don't.  They can just be a little more candid than some of us are willing to be when our names are attached to our blogs.

Who Makes You Smile?


I've shared a couple of my favourite, put a smile on your face, bloggers.  Do you have a few gems to share?  What do you think about blogs published anonymously; are you pro, con, "it depends", or other?  I'd love to hear what you think :-)

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the nice comments on the PrincipalsPage.com Blog. One sentence per paragraph is about all I can come up.

    My attention span won't allow for much more.

    And one of these days, I may actually put my name on the blog.

    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd agree with the Principal Page as well. It is always good for a chuckle and a profound observation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @principalspage thanks for the comment and for reading my post. I've never commented on your blog before, but I'm a big fan.

    @Charlie I think I found Principal's Page on a recommendation from you, so thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog! Any spam comments will be deleted.